The Canadian Residency Matching Service (CaRMS) is the organization that matches med school graduates to residency spots across Canada.
How It Works
- Upon graduating from med school, you submit an electronic application to CaRMS.
- Then you complete an in-person interview with the organization you are interested in training at, such as a teaching hospital.
- Actually, many students travel to several interviews across Canada during the residency matching process. This can become costly.
- Next, you rank where you would like to train from your most-to-least desired positions.
- However, the offers you get are commonly not your first choice.
- Most residents accept what’s offered because it is essential to complete residency in order to become a licensed physician.
- The residency program is very competitive, and it is recommended that you be open-minded about locations.