There is a large demand for doctors and other healthcare professionals all over the world. A career as a doctor can be exciting and fulfilling, but it also requires very long hours of work and can be stressful. Is a career as a doctor for you?
Here are some great reasons to consider a career in health care:
- You’ll earn a good salary
- You’ll enjoy job security
- You’ll can do work that interests you
- You can live and work anywhere you want
- You can find a health career that fits your educational plans
- You can learn by reading and by doing
- You can get help to pay for school
- You’ll have a clear path to advancement
- You can work with people (or not)
- You’ll make a difference in people’s lives
Becoming a doctor is a big commitment and lots of work!
While there are great benefits, being a doctor is not for everyone. There are many things to consider when deciding on medicine as a career choice.
- Ask yourself these questions:
- What do I do well?
- What do I enjoy doing?
- What do others tell me?
- Am I squeamish?
- Do I want to help and care for people?
- How are my marks in school?
- Do you have the following personal qualities and characteristics?
- Time management skills
- Stress management skills
- Strong social relationships
- Communication skills
- Self-awareness – emotional strength
- Well-rounded experiences
"Physician" or "Doctor" is a prestigious title, and a career as a doctor is one of commitment and service. Physicians not only serve their patients, they often volunteer in many community and professional organizations. Consider how you currently serve your community. Can you commit to a life of service as a medical doctor?