Do this before you pursue any career. Look inside yourself to explore what you’re all about...and what you really want out of life.
Write down the answers to these questions:
- What do I do well?
- What do I enjoy doing?
- What do I struggle with?
- What do others tell me about myself?
- Am I squeamish?
- Do I want to help and care for people? Why?
- How are my marks in school?
- How well do I communicate face-to-face?
Next, describe your personal qualities and abilities in these areas:
- Time management skills
- Stress management skills
- Strong social relationships
- Communication skills
- Self-awareness – emotional strength
- Well-rounded experiences
Don’t stop there. Take the initiative to visit your school counselor and ask to take a career assessment test. This will help you explore even more in-depth.
Or, sign up at http://careerinsite.alberta.ca/careerinsite.aspx and take the self-assessment quizzes and exercises there. You might be surprised what you learn about yourself!