Other Alberta-based bursaries, awards and scholarships for medical school.
Dr. Michael Tarrant Scholarship
This scholarship is sponsored by the Alberta Medical Association’s Section of Rural Medicine. The Tarrant scholarship is one of Alberta’s largest unrestricted medical school undergraduate awards. Two awards, $12,500 each, are made each year; one for an applicant from University of Alberta and one from University of Calgary.
The application deadline for the 2016 Tarrant Scholarship is May 20. The successful recipients for 2016 will be announced in the fall. For more information and the application form, please go to: https://www.albertadoctors.org/about/awards/tarrant
Northern Alberta Development Council (NADC)
The Medical and Dentistry Student Bursary offered through the NADC is a non-repayable bursary with an agreement to live and work in northern Alberta for one year in return for each year of support received.
There are two bursary options available:
- $12,000 option – the recipient receives $12,000 per year. Upon completion of residency, the recipient agrees to work and live anywhere in northern Alberta (one year for each $12,000 bursary)
- $24,000 option – dependant on the availability of a sponsor, the recipient may receive $24,000 per year ($12,000 from NADC and $12,000 from the sponsor). Upon completion of residency, the recipient agrees to work and live in the area specified by the sponsor (one year for each $24,000 bursary)
Applicants need to:
- Be a resident of Alberta for at least 12 consecutive months before the start of the university program
- Be enrolled in a medical program designated for provincial funding
- Plan to live and work in northern Alberta upon completion of residency, and sing a return of service contract
- Not be in default of a provincial student loan
For more information or to apply for this bursary, please go to: http://www.benorth.ca/medical-student-bursary.asp