This award provides the student with $5,000 support to tuition, accommodation, living and/or travel expenses for each year of medical studies. It is available to students in any year of their medical degree. Once accepted, and based on meeting the program requirements, the student receives the award each year until graduation from medical school.
While the number of awards available on an annual basis may vary, the intent is to grant up to 2 per Alberta medical school per year.
Applicants need to:
- Be an Alberta resident or permanent resident of Canada living in Alberta
- Be enrolled as full-time medical student at University of Calgary or University of Alberta
- Have resided in a defined Alberta rural area¹ for at least 5 consecutive years immediately prior to entering a pre-medical program
- Be a member of a Rural Medical Interest Group at the Alberta university where taking the medical degree
Applicants will also be assessed based on:
- Community volunteerism
- Ties to a rural community
- Recognition of rural physicians in their community
Applications are accepted any time prior to November 1st of each year. There will be one round of award granting per year.
Click here for more info and to apply.
For direct assistance regarding the RPAP Rural Medical School Award, please contact Charlotte De Laet, Administrative Coordinator – email@example.com .
¹Alberta communities except Edmonton, St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Devon, Leduc, Calgary, Airdrie, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, Red Deer, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge